The First Presbyterian Church of Odebolt was formally organized by 13 charter members on April 13, 1879. This was less than one year after Odebolt was incorporated as a city.
Initially, worship was held in a store building. As membership grew, a one-room structure with belfry was built in 1880. That first church building was located on the corner of Fifth and Main Streets, three blocks southeast of the church’s current location.
As Odebolt grew, so did the church. In 1899, trustees purchased the land at the church’s current location on the corner of Third and Maple Streets. The second church was built at this location and was dedicated on Feb. 4, 1900. It could seat 300 worshippers.
Almost 20 years later, on Jan. 22, 1920, a fire destroyed the second church building and all its contents. Plans began immediately to rebuild.
The new structure that was under construction in 1920-1920 is what we see today. Dedicated on May 22, 1921, the new church building is able to seat 500 people.
In 1929, the beautiful Chancel Art glass window that depicts Jesus, which came to be known as the Rose Window, was donated and installed. The window was a gift from longtime member William Phipps Adams, and is one of the church building’s most unique features.
Construction on a new addition to the church building began in October 2000. The northeast corner of the building was demolished, and a new entrance was created.
The exterior was finished to match the 80-year-old church. Original bricks were salvaged and cleaned, as well as matching roof tile that had been stored in the church coal room for decades, was used on the new addition. Inside, doors and other woodwork in the new addition were crafted to match the original doors in other parts of the church.
On Nov. 11, 2001, the new addition of the church was dedicated. The new entrance made the church more accessible, so all members and visitors would be physically able to attend services. A welcoming lobby, new elevator, two accessible restrooms, an office, and a meeting room were all part of the new addition. The work also included a new circle driveway that provided convenient access.
Rev. G.R. Carroll - Missionary (1877)
Rev. A.K. Baird - Missionary Organizer (1877)
Rev. H.P. Fullenweider (April 13,1879 to Sept. 1879)
Rev. J.C. Gilkerson (June 4, 1880 to July 12, 1880)
Rev. S.N. Vail (July 12, 1880 to March 15, 1882)
Rev. W.O. Thompson (May 12, 1882 to March 22, 1885)
Rev. S.B. Nielson (Oct. 21, 1885)
Rev. J.N. Elliott (April 18, 1886 to May 15, 1888)
Rev. H.H. McMasters (Oct. 24, 1888 to Sept. 8, 1889)
Rev. J.C. Melrose (May 4, 1890 to Sept. 16, 1894)
Rev. F.D. McRae (Aug. 24, 1890 to Sept. 16, 1894
Rev. DeYoung (May 19, 1895)
Rev. E.E. Hastings (Feb. 9, 1896 to June 21, 1900)
Rev. Alexander Gilmore (April 26, 1901 to Nov. 8, 1903)
Rev. Wilson W. Tait (March 25, 1906 to Dec. 27, 1906)
Rev. David A. McLeod (July 1907 to July 2,1910)
Rev. Robert McInturff (June 1911 to Dec. 13, 1914)
Rev. W.J. Mitchell (April 11, 1916 to April 8, 1918)
Rev. T.A. Ambler (Aug. 1, 1918 to Feb. 28, 1923)
Rev. A.E. Abben (1923 to Oct. 2, 1927)
Rev. C.W. Pfeiffer (1928 to 1932)
Rev. S.M. Patterson (June 12, 1933 to June 26, 1938)
Rev. Glenn Morrow (Aug. 29, 1938 to 1941)
Rev. Martin L. Tonner (Jan. 1942 to 1945)
Rev. Albert W. Peters (March 19, 1946 to September 1953)
Rev. Peter DeBeer (March 7, 1954 to Dec. 1, 1964)
Rev. Carl G. Boaz (July 8, 1965 to Dec. 24, 1967)
Rev. Joseph J. Lemen (Aug. 1, 1968 to Nov. 15, 1978)
Rev. Marvin F. Miller (Jan. 1, 1980 to Feb. 25, 1985)
Rev. Jane S. Newstead (March 9, 1986 to Oct. 15, 1989)
Rev. Bob Ryder (Nov. 16, 1990 to Oct. 4, 1992)
Rev. Charles Bulger (May 1, 1994 to Oct. 31, 2004)
Rev. Mark Volkers
Rev. Bill Crawford